PARENTS’ BILL OF RIGHTS FOR DATA PRIVACY AND SECURITY
In accordance with the requirements of Section 2-d that was added to the New York Education Law in 2014, the Marlboro Central School District (MCSD) provides the following Parents’ Bill of Rights with respect to maintaining the privacy and security of student data:
- A student's personally identifiable information cannot be sold or released for any commercial purposes;
- Parents have the right to inspect and review the complete contents of their child's education record;
- State and federal laws protect the confidentiality of personally identifiable information, and safeguards associated with industry standards and best practices, including but not limited to, encryption, firewalls, and password protection, must be in place when data is stored or transferred. Towards this end, the District has implemented the following safeguards to protect personally identifiable information about students, which is stored or transferred by the District, against unauthorized disclosure.
- All databases that have student information are protected by a secure password and login. Logins are monitored, and passwords are kept up-to-date.
- All databases are secured behind a multilayered threat protection firewall. The firewall is monitored and kept up-to-date.
- A complete list of all student data elements collected by the State shall be made available for public review online, and by mail, upon written request, when this list is provided by the State. In the meantime, information regarding data elements collected by the State Education Department (SED) is available online at:
- Parents have the right to have complaints about possible breaches of student data addressed. Complaints should be directed to: Chief Technology Officer, Michael Bakatsias, 21 Milton Tpke., Milton, NY 12547 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
PLEASE NOTE: The foregoing Parents’ Bill of Rights is neither complete nor final, as the District receives further guidance (as specified by law) regarding the implementation of Section 2d, from New York’s Commissioner of Education and from a new “Chief Privacy Officer” who is to be appointed by the Commissioner. Accordingly, this Parents’ Bill of Rights is subject to revision and/or supplementation as needed to comply with the District’s obligations under the law.
Additional information is available on the New York State Education Department’s website at: http://www.nysed.gov/student-data-privacy/student-data-privacy-bill-rights-parents-bill-rights.