Need to know: Rocks
Monominerallic- a rock made from one mineral (i.e. Dunite)
Polyminerallic- a rock made from more than one mineral. (i.e. Granite)
- Fire Formed- melted rock material cools and solidifies (freezing)
- Intrusive- rock formed inside the Earth (like Granite)
- Extrusive- rock formed on the surface (like Obsidian)
- Texture- the size of the crystals- NOT HOW IT FEELS
Rocks INSIDE the Earth Rocks OUTSIDE the Earth Plutonic Volcanic Formed from magma Formed from lava Crystals grow large Crystals are small or not there at all!
A major characterisitc to look for in an Igneous rock: Intergrown CrystalsIntergrown...
Made from sediments or rock material that has been broken down in some way.
- Water is usually involved in forming sedimentary rocks.
- Fragments/sediments of various sizes make up a variety of sedimentary rocks.
- Sedimentary rocks are the only rocks that contain fossils!
Types of Sedimentary Rocks
Breccia has angular fragments:-Chemically formed rocks: evaporites
- Clastic (fragmental) made by compaction and cementation of sediments.
- Clastic rocks are identified by the size of the fragments.
- Conglomerate has rounded fragments...
Formed when water carrying minerals evaporates and leaves the minerals behind.
Made from accumulated shells (limestone) or plants (coal)
- bio= life
- clastic= fragments
- changed from a pre-existing rock
- caused by extreme heat and/or pressuremay result in a distorted structure like this...
Foliation is a grain to the rock.
The rocks can change between each type by following processes that are described in the rock cycle. See page 6 of your ESRT.
- minerals are squished into bands.
Schistose foliation- minerals have been squashed into flakes of mica. Like in this sample of schist:
or... HOLEY SCHIST:
Special thanks to Mr. Phil Medina for images and inspiration.